Bob Spankle has some interesting ideas about video in the classroom. On one hand, video already is and can be more useful as a tool for learning as he says. However, there are many problems with this. For instance, this would put a lot more on already very busy teachers. It may be easier now than before with technology, but if one considers the amount of work teachers do, I think one would understand the stress it would cause. Another problem is the legal issues that would arise. Think of all the permission slips that teachers and schools and districts would have to send out. Think of all the editing to be done for those who refused to sign. Think of all the stories we would here on the News about the scandals with class videos. Sure, there may be a database to block things like this from happening, but still I foresee problems.
Don't get me wrong. I think that video would be extremely useful in a lot of ways and it should be used, like all technology, as a tool for learning.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think if i had a student or students parents no be ok with the video camera in class i would just not have it for that semester/year. like you said it would be too difficult to edit and as teachers we just wont have the time.
ReplyDeleteI think that now that we have actually used a flip video we saw how easy it was to put all the different clips together and add music and titles etc. I think that these flip videos can just be shown in the classroom as well. Having students work on projects and then showing them to their classmates would be one way to get around some of the problems. Also, you could feature one student a week and just send the parents the video of their students.
ReplyDelete