Monday, September 7, 2009

Thoughts on "Turning on the Lights" by Marc Prensky

How interesting it is to think that my future students will be far more technologically advanced that I am! I will more often be a director than a giver of information. I suppose this may seem a bit easier at first, but I believe this will make my job more challenging and enjoyable.
My students will have worlds of knowledge that I will know nothing about. The only solution, I believe, will be to use their own technological resources and give them better ones or more appropriate ones that will benefit their learning. Here lies my problem. Though I know a lot about technology, I do not know enough. Thank goodness for every opportunity!
My imagination runs wild with all the creative ways I could get my students engaged in learning; a computer program that shows all the constellations of stars in our galaxy projected onto the classroom ceiling. Maybe a projection of the Rainforest on the wall and the speakers filled with sounds of various animals and insects, and the pouring of rain hitting the leaves. Perhaps there will be a virtual program that takes you up to the heights of Mt. Kilimanjaro or the arid dunes of the Sahara.
I will have to learn an appropriate balance of technology in the classroom, but I cannot restrict it. It is too important for children to engage in learning to fight with them over the use of the technology they bring. There are lessons where it is beneficial and there are lessons where it is just distracting. Time will tell. Until then, I'll just keep learning.

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas of how you could incorporate technology into your future classroom. Keep your imagination working and you will have a class that is exciting and alive for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are some great ideas on how to integrate technology. Maybe you don't have as far to go as you thought, but there is always advances being made. It is going to be interesting to see what the new technology are when we have our own classrooms.

    ReplyDelete