For a long time I thought I could get along fine without technology. Then I saw its usefulness again and again till I came to the point where I could not imagine life without a computer, email, cell phones, and the like. And now that I am going to be a teacher, it is just about impossible to do anything without this full force speed of technology. In some ways it makes me sad to see the impatience of the world. I am absolutely thrilled to recieve a hand-written letter, but an email is just an email. Please don't misunderstand me, I am grateful for technology. I really would not be able to live in this society without it. Nor could I achieve my goals or work in my chosen profession. I suppose that technology need only be balanced with real life, not consume it.
What I've learned in my first few weeks of this class is what brilliant tools can come of it. My future students will have far more access to the world. They will not be closed of and ignorant, but enlightened and ever eager to learn more. I can use this! There many more ways to get them involved and engaged. But I will not trade a good book for a computer screen and I'll do my best to teach my students the same. I want to cultivate my students' imaginations--have them sit back and listen to the words of A Christmas Carol or Robert Louis Stevenson. Stories and poems never get old, and there is value to be taught in that.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amber, I agree when you mentioned the impatience of the world, since technology is growing and making everything faster. I agree aswell that there should be a balance of technology with real life. I think that sometimes we need to disconnect with technology, take a break, because sometimes it does comsume us. However, in the classroom, like you said, it has and will be a great advantage to our students; to help them grow in knowledge and discover the world in many educational ways.
ReplyDelete