Monday, September 21, 2009

Generation IM

The intense use of technology in the classroom astounds me. Reading this article made me think of all the teachers that are limited in their understanding of technology and have to educate themselves, which they do not have time for, in order to use it. It makes me glad on one hand and nervous on the other. Glad, because I will have a greater knowledge of this technology. Nervous, because how much more advance than we get? I feel like by the time I get to the classroom I will have to be trained for even more types of technology. Hopefully, I will not be that far behind.
I do think that children of today are far more engaged in learning when technology is involved. However, I just do not think that it is as much as this article is describing. I think that a lot of it is imposed on them, because I have seen first hand how well they learn without it. Think about summer camps. I have counseled at a few where no cell phones, ipods, or the like were allowed. Students there learned and grew immensely. Of course, we cannot all grow up in camps. But I think it would be a mistake to over indulge our children in technology when it is unnecessary.

1 comment:

  1. The thing with technology is that it is never ending. You are probably right, we will have to be trained in something new by the time we have our own classrooms. You make a good point when it comes to over indulging students in technology. Some times they just don't need it. I remember being one of those kids at summer camp not being able to use my cell phone. It hurt at first but by the end of the week I didn't feel it imposing in my life as much as it did before. I think it was a good thing, it opened my eyes up to all the things in the world that doesn't take technology to do/use.

    ReplyDelete